Queen Street West, west of Niagara Street - preliminary rail welding and storage
Starting May 31 for two weeks
What we are doing and why
Preliminary rail welding work by the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is being conducted in advance of the City/TTC multi-phase track renewal project on Queen Street West between Bay Street and Fennings Avenue. The preliminary rail-welding work in advance of the Queen Street project is required by the TTC.
- Starting on May 31, a track crew will occupy the two track lanes on Queen Street, west of Niagara Street in order to weld standard lengths of rail into longer strings. This advance work allows for faster track installation, thereby reducing the construction disruption to local communities.
- The rail strings will be stored in the north curb lane in front of Trinity Bellwoods Park from just west of Gore Vale Avenue. The rail will be depleted from this storage location as the track work and new rail installation progresses over the course of the project (Phases 5 through 8 - Fennings Street to Spadina Avenue) starting in August.
Work hours - some overnight activity
- The preliminary rail welding operations will be conducted between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Some after hours and night deliveries of rail may be required to support the daytime welding operation. The set-up for the welding work zone on the first day (May 31), will begin at approximately 7:30 a.m.
- Efforts will be made to move/pull the newly welded strings to the north curb lane in front of the park during the welding process. However, there may be a need to pull the rails overnight for safety reasons. Some noise can be expected during this activity.
Parking and traffic restrictions
- During welding work, the location of the work zone may inhibit left turns.
- During welding work, on-street parking in this section of Queen Street west of Niagara Street will be restricted in order to maintain traffic in the two outside curb lanes.
- During rail storage, on-street parking on the north curb lane in front of the park will be restricted.
Thank you for your patience as the TTC undertakes this preliminary rail welding work.
For further TTC information:
Paul Tran, Community Liaison, 647-461-5133, email@example.com
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service