Dundas Street West south of Bloor Street West - urgent track maintenance
October 14 to 18, 2021
What we are doing and why
Starting at 9 a.m. on Thursday, October 14*, pending weather, TTC track crews will begin setting up a work zone to conduct maintenance to a section of the track on Dundas Street West just south of Bloor Street. The work will include, concrete margin repairs and replacement of worn rail at the northbound streetcar stop.
The work is required to maintain safe streetcar service. Work activities will be contained within the track area and will include:
- saw cutting, milling and minor breaking of concrete to remove the broken concrete along the track margin and to expose the rail;
- replacing existing rail with new rail;
- and placement of new concrete.
Traffic and parking restrictions
- Traffic will be reduced to the curb lanes through the work zone.
On-street parking will be restricted through the area to maintain traffic and to create a safe work zone for the crew.
- The location of the work zone may inhibit left and right turns.
- The lane restrictions and work zone will be cleared by Monday morning around 4 a.m. after the newly placed concrete has cured adequately for road traffic.
Work hours and timeline
- On Thursday morning, a track crew will begin removing the broken concrete along a stretch of southbound and northbound track margin. Streetcar service will be maintained through the work zone during this phase of work.
- On Friday evening at 10 p.m. streetcar service will be replaced with buses and the track crew will begin concrete milling (dust controlled by water) will take place in order to begin exposing the rail to be replaced. Efforts will be made to complete the milling activities before 12:01 a.m. On Saturday morning some concrete breaking will occur to completely expose the rail for removal and replacement.
- While most work typically ends at 11 p.m., rail work of this nature requires periods of around-the-clock work to ensure quality installation of new rail and concrete.
- Old rail will be replaced with the new rail, which will involve some cutting and welding/grinding.
- Concrete is poured in the track area and set to cure. The new concrete requires curing time before the work zone is removed for the resumption of full road use Monday morning.
TTC service - 10 p.m. Friday, October 15* to 4 a.m., Monday, October 18*
- 505 Dundas streetcars will divert to High Park Loop via Howard Park Avenue.
- 505 Dundas replacement buses will operate between Dundas West Station and Lansdowne Avenue.
- 504/304 King service – 504G buses are currently operating between Dundas West Station and the Roncesvalles/Queen area.
Thank you for your patience as we work to maintain safe streetcar service.
For further information:
Paul Tran, Community Liaison, 647-461-5133, email@example.com.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service