Bathurst Street south of College Street - essential rail repair
July 30 to August 2, 2021
What we are doing and why
Starting at 7 a.m. on Friday, July 30, pending weather, TTC track crews will begin setting up a work zone on Bathurst Street, south of College Street to carry out a rail repair. This work is required to maintain safe streetcar operations.
Work activities will be contained within the track lanes and will include: saw cutting, milling and minor breaking of concrete to expose the rail; replacing existing rail with new rail; and placement of new concrete.
Traffic and parking restrictions
- Traffic will be reduced to the curb lanes through the work zone.
- On-street parking will be restricted through the area to maintain traffic and to create a safe work zone for the crew.
- The location of the work zone may inhibit left turns.
- The lane restrictions and work zone will be cleared by Monday morning around 4 a.m. after the newly placed concrete has cured adequately for road traffic.
Work hours and timeline
- On Friday morning at 7 a.m. the track crew will begin setting up the work zone and begin cutting into the concrete. Concrete milling will also take place in order to begin exposing the rail to be replaced. During the concrete milling and breaking process streetcar service will be maintained through the work zone. Efforts will be made to complete the milling/breaking activities around 11 p.m. On Saturday morning some concrete breaking may be required to completely expose the rail for removal and replacement.
- While most work typically ends at 11 p.m., rail work of this nature requires periods of around-the-clock work to ensure quality installation of new rail and concrete.
- Old rail will be replaced with the new rail, which will involve some cutting and welding/grinding.
- Concrete is poured in the track area and set to cure. The new concrete requires curing time before the work zone is removed for the resumption of full road use Monday morning.
TTC service - 11 p.m. July 31 to 7 a.m. August 1
- 511 Bathurst streetcars will operate between Wolseley Loop and Exhibition Loop.
- 511 Bathurst replacement buses will operate between Bathurst Station and King/Bathurst.
- Note: streetcars will be maintained through the work zone outside of the above noted hours.
Thank you for your patience as we work to maintain safe streetcar service.
For further information, please contact:
Paul Tran, Community Liaison, 647-461-5133, email@example.com.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service